Tastes of Spring: “Austin-Style” Grilled Chicken SandwichPosted on May 5, 2016 | by Dr. Amy Bekanich
Hello, spring! There’s a lot to love about spring in Austin, but perhaps one of my most favorite things about the season is fresh produce and light recipes to match.
There are so many options when it comes to quick spring meals, but this Austin-Style Grilled Chicken Sandwich is one of my favorite dishes when the days become longer and hotter. It’s an adapted recipe with American and Tex-Mex influences—and the result (in my opinion) is perfection! The best part is that it’s one of those recipes that is truly healthy, yet big on taste.
What you’ll need:
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 avocados
- 1 cored pineapple (reserve pineapple juice for marinade)
- 4 (1.5-ounce) whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- ½ red onion
- ¼ cup cilantro (optional; for those who aren’t fans, substitute basil or the leafy herb of your choice)
- ¼ extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Leftover pineapple juice
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 heaping Tbs sriracha
- Add chicken breasts, pineapple juice, ¼ cup of cilantro, lime juice, salt & pepper, and ¼ cup olive oil to a large gallon-sized bag and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Prepare grill and place chicken on the grill rack. Cook 5-6 minutes per side or until cooked through. Grill pineapple 2-3 minutes on each side or until light brown grill marks appear. Remove from the grill, place on platter, cover with tin foil, and let the meat rest for 5 minutes.
- While food is resting, cut up onion and avocado and mix together the sriracha and mayo.
- Layer your chicken breast, onion, avocado slices, and sriracha mayo on the toasted whole wheat bun and enjoy!
I hope you love this light meal option as much as I do! What recipes do you like to make during the spring? Let us know in the comment section!